So, you’ve recently ended an amazing relationship, whether it was a romantic relationship or more of a close friendship, it still meant a lot to you. You feel as if the world has come crashing down on you and you can’t help but think you’ll never have anything like it again. What do you do?
The truth is… everyone is different, some people can just move on, others can’t. It takes a lot to be able to say that you’re “over it” but, are you? No one is ever completely over something or someone. They could be horrible about the person in question, but deep down they know that they miss that person… dearly.
So how can you help yourself? Well, first off, it’s very easy to lie, but DON’T! It’s not worth the risk and the hassle later on. Trust me. Some of the best things to do (in my opinion) are:
- Write down what you don’t miss – This is a great way to realise that the relationship wasn’t healthy. It will mean that you can finally see the light, realising that you deserve better.
- Find new people to be around – Don’t sit there and moan! Go out and do something. Find some new friends that could give you some support in this tough time. This will help to make you feel better when you’re at a low point.
- Talk to someone – This could be a friend, a family member or (if necessary) a counsellor. People are here to help you, and you don’t have to be alone at this time. You can talk to your heart’s content about what is bothering you. This should allow you to spill out everything that is annoying you about the situation and give you space away from the issue. Remember, a problem shared is a problem halved.
- Change something – Shift your bedroom around a little, get rid of something old, or do something completely different. Whatever you do, allow it to make sure that you don’t feel glump when seeing it. You’ll be surprised at how this can help to move on.
- Give yourself time – Unfortunately, your feelings won’t change overnight (even if you promise yourself that they will). You have to allow yourself time to really make a significant change in your life and be able to say “I can do this.” Because YOU CAN!
These are the tips that I used to help myself at this time, they didn’t work all the time, but, they might help you. Just remember that you will have moments where you want to give up and run away or tell yourself that you’ll never find happiness again, but it isn’t true and don’t let yourself believe it!
This will be a tough journey but it will be worth it.
Yugen – An awareness of the universe which triggers an emotional thought too deep for words.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” – Author unknown